- 2 oz extra virgin olive oil, plus extra to grease
- 8 ½ oz water
- 2 ¼ tsp active dry yeast
or 1 packet/envelope active dry yeast
- 11 oz sourdough starter (apple wheat starter), (see Tip)
- 17 oz semolina, durum wheat, plus extra to dust (approx. 1-2 oz)
or 17 oz bread flour, plus extra to dust (approx. 1-2 oz)
- 2 tsp salt
Follow the chef
- Feed starter 4-8 hours before starting recipe and leave at room temperature. Sourdough starter must be bubbly and active before starting the dough. Test by dropping a small amount into a glass of room-temperature water. If the starter floats, it is ready to use.
- Grease a large bowl with olive oil and set it aside.
- Place water and yeast into mixing bowl and warm 3 min/100°F/speed 1.
- Add starter, semolina, salt, and olive oil and mix 10 sec/speed 5. Scrape down sides of mixing bowl with a spatula.
- Knead 4 min/. Transfer dough to prepared bowl, cover with cling wrap or a damp kitchen towel, and let proof for 3 hours. After 30-60 minutes, while the dough is still in the bowl, create a light and airy dough by stretching and folding 3-6 times during the rest period (see Tip). Meanwhile, generously coat a banneton or proofing basket with flour.
- Fold the dough from all sides to the middle with the seam side up and place into the prepared banneton, cover and let rise at room temperature until doubled in size (approx. 2-7 hr.). Towards the end of proofing, place a Dutch oven, empty but with lid, on middle rack in oven and heat for 30 minutes at 450°F.
- Once the dough has risen, transfer to a piece of parchment seam side up and set aside. Using oven mitts, carefully remove the extremely hot pot from the oven and transfer to a heatproof surface. Gently lower dough with parchment into the preheated pot, cover with a lid and bake 15 minutes (450ºF).
- Using oven mitts, remove the lid and bake uncovered 20-25 minutes (450°F). Then, very carefully, tip the pot to remove the bread and tap on the underside, bread sounds hollow when done. Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool before serving.
Want to demo the TM-6?
Before you make a purchase, book a live demo and we'll come cook in your kitchen.