- 3000 – 4000 g Jarrahdale pumpkin (approx. 23-25 cm)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp soft brown sugar
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 700 g beef chuck steak, cut into pieces (3 cm)
- 50 g plain flour
- 1 brown onion (approx. 150 g), cut into halves
- 1 celery stalk, trimmed and cut into thirds
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary (approx. 10 cm), leaves only
- 4 fresh sage leaves
- 20 g vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp Meat stock paste (see Tips)
- 130 g red wine
- 40 g tomato paste
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 200 g potato, peeled and cut into cubes (1.5 cm)
- 1 carrot (approx. 100 g), cut into slices (5 mm)
Header Image: Photo by Karly Gomez on Unsplash
Follow the chef
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray (30 x 40 cm) with baking paper and set aside.
- Cut a round lid (approx. 10-12 cm diameter) from the top of the pumpkin and set aside. Remove seeds and stringy flesh and discard. Place butter, sugar, salt and ½ teaspoon pepper inside base of pumpkin. Place pumpkin onto prepared baking tray and bake for 60 minutes (180°C). Meanwhile, continue with beef stew preparation.
- Place steak, flour and remaining ½ teaspoon pepper into a large snap lock plastic bag. Seal bag and shake to coat, then set aside.
- Place onion, celery, garlic, rosemary and sage into mixing bowl and chop 5 sec/speed 7. Scrape down sides of mixing bowl with spatula.
- Add oil and sauté 5 min/Varoma/speed 2.
- Add all remaining ingredients, including reserved floured beef, and cook 25 min/100°C//speed 1.
- Remove pumpkin from oven and carefully scoop out cooked pumpkin flesh, keeping a 3 cm border of pumpkin around all sides. Transfer pumpkin flesh into a sealable container and set aside to cool.
- Using a ladle, carefully transfer stew into cooked pumpkin shell. Replace reserved pumpkin lid on top of stew and return to oven to bake for a further 1- 1½ hours (180°C) or until stew and pumpkin are cooked to your preference. To serve, spoon stew into serving bowls, scraping the sides of the pumpkin shell to include baked pumpkin (see Tips).
Want to demo the TM-6?
Before you make a purchase, book a live demo and we'll come cook in your kitchen.